Friday, September 5, 2008

Stories from women

Onyango mily is a widow 36yrs old. She takes care of 5children of her own and 5 orphans from other families who have vanished through HIV/AIDS. Her husband died 5yrs ago and because of the war she ran away from the trouble to find peace in the city. She ended up in Naguru slums where she was able to find a one roomed muddy house where she now lives with the children. She joined the group 3yrs ago where she acquired the skills very first. "Can now make the best beads" Milly speaks out proudly. I have managed to rent a room where I live with my children. At least all my children go school. I buy books and all school requirements. With the money I get from the beads, I have been able to buy food for the family, though we can only afford one meal a day.

I now walk with Dorcus our group leader to other communities to train other women with the skills we have acquired. I feel very proud to be called a teacher even when I have never gone to school!. I have HIV, but don't think about it anymore. I keep my self busy learning more skills. I pray that we get better market for our products, and then we can live a better life with our orphans.

No comments: